Our vision for Alexandria is a vibrant community where people of all income groups and cultures live in safe and healthy homes. We are working towards this goal by:
• Repairing and rehabilitating homes free of cost for those in need, including the elderly, persons with disabilities, military veterans, and families with children
• Revitalizing communities by improving common spaces and schools serving low-income neighborhoods
• Creating affordable housing in the City
• Transparency and integrity
• Serve all residents in need, regardless of gender, race, class, sexuality, disability, etc.
• Collaborate and partner with related organizations
• Complete projects in an environmentally conscious manner
• Sustain a fiscally and operationally sound organization
"The city of Alexandria and its residents have greatly benefited by Rebuilding Together Alexandria's free home repairs."Former Mayor William Euille, City of Alexandria
Rebuilding Together Alexandria creates healthy neighborhoods for the residents in the City of Alexandria by maintaining affordable housing, revitalizing community spaces, and creating homeownership opportunities. By working with local community partners through our programs, we are able to make a greater collective impact on neighborhoods throughout the City.
Safe and Healthy Homes
Because home hazards disproportionately affect low-income persons living in older and/or substandard housing, our Safe and Healthy Home program focuses on stabilizing 25 items that the National Center for Healthy Housing found to drastically improve living conditions for residents, such as operable smoke/CO2 detectors, proper ventilation, and a working fire extinguisher.
Last year, our clients met only 68% of the recommended items, but after Rebuilding Together made repairs and upgrades, 86% of the items that contribute to a safe and health home were completed.
"I haven't smiled since my husband died a year ago, but the repairs you did on my home put a permanent smile on my face. Thank you for making me be happy."EH, Homeowner